Drivers are the backbone of the system. In order to overcome the shortcomings of the then existing drivers’ app, a new project to re-design and overhaul the application was taken up.
The main goal was to fix the user flow and navigation capabilities to enable superior hassle-free delivery experience for drivers.
I was given an opportunity to work on this project from the beginning. I coordinated with teams and worked on all the facets of design including User persona interview, Information architecture, user flows, paper prototypes, low fidelity and high fidelity wireframes, mockups etc.
To make sure to have the best input possible, extensive research was conducted through persona interviews with 25 in-house drivers as well as mapping journeys in order to study both user behavior and working atmosphere.
Following points were revealed during user study:
• The then existing application got stuck and hung a lot, heating up the mobile device. This is further complicated by the fact that temperatures in Kuwait soar up to 50 degree celsius (122 Fahrenheit) during summers.
• Application navigation was difficult and not easy to use. Drivers were using it on the go or while driving.
• Since only android phones are provided by the company to drivers, only android application was required.
Decision was taken to focus on pain points which were related to both drivers and the operation team as well and following guidelines were set in motion:
• Android app shall follow Google material design since many drivers are familiar with material design related applications.
• Relatively bigger interactive UI to be set as compared to customer application since it is used by drivers who are on the go and need better visibility.
• To follow current brand guidelines related to typography and colors
• To focus on main apparent task i.e successfully delivering the order
• To keep it simple and easy to use